Monday, January 24, 2011

Sincerely, Susan


      THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES


Souvenirs of the living
Gifts were for giving
Stories behind
Each of the finds

Open the door
What is stored
Revisit a time
Memory reminds

Sentimental trip
Love and friendship
Mementos believing
Lost time seeing

Open a draw about
Let the memories out
Remembering emotions
The special occasions

No price tag recall
Yet, most valuable of all
Moments were these
Thanks for the memories


Susan Marie Davniero

THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES
Published Newsday Act 2


I’ve gone back for another look at my things collected about my house over the years, which caused me to pause and reflect on my life.  There is a need to essay the meaning of my things in life’s plan. Memories do not travel through time alone with out the memento, the souvenir, the “thing” saved. 

Given I am sentimental I’ve saved and collected a lot of “things.” I am comforted by a sense of good times and family derived from the things I have saved. I open my jewelry box, a draw, or a closet door and I let all the memories out of a lost time. If I didn’t notice all the stories behind each of my things I haven’t been paying attention. I can open the door to the store house where I packed away my life. Time has wrapped itself around each object showing me the life I have lived.

I can return to revisit my life any time I want.  My things can take me back to my hometown, my childhood, graduation or my wedding day – with just a look.  I can travel back to people and places I haven’t seen in years.   For this trip I don’t need a car, train or plane to revisit a place or another time.  Perhaps, some say it is wise not to look back. Yet, with looking back we cannot move forward; as many memorable times are still happening to us with unfinished lives.

Without memory, time has no meaning.  When memory fails, a souvenir, memento, photo or thing will remind you. Achieving distance helps us to appreciate the good times, the loves of our life, and appreciate the value of life.  Memories are immortalized in literature, song lyrics or remembered in good ole’ Bob Hope’s rendition “Thanks for the Memories.”

There is no price tag on memories.  The stories of a life – think what is paid for these experiences. My favorite things have no real monetary value (such as greeting cards, letters, postcards, photos, mugs, key chains, bookmarks); and yet they are priceless just the same to me.  Sometimes it’s the small things in life without monetary value that are the most valuable of all.
  
Susan Marie Davniero

Published Pink Chameleon
REMEMBRANCES


Taking a trip down
Memory lane town
Longed for the ways
For the good old days

Recalling stories
Nostalgic glories
The way life was
That came to pass

A potpourri of change
Lifestyles range
A journey back
In the time track

What century
It has been to see
Remembrances to last
Of the times past


Susan Marie Davniero

A POETS LIST


Literary no apology
For poems anthology
A hidden treasure
Of readings pleasure

Fluid poetry fits
Of such favorites
Factoring begun
Where to choose from

Rhythm or free verse
Based on preference
Poets likely drawn
Resembles their own

Compiled to select
Of voices dialect
Poetic prose enlist
For a poet’s list



Susan Marie Davniero


Published:  Newsday

No comments:

Post a Comment